Fires and Explosions
Fires and Explosions can be some of the most costly of all incident phenomena. Packer/ITC Experts engineers and technicians have decades of experience and knowledge in the scientific investigations of the origin and cause or accident reconstruction of fires and explosions. Our investigative engineers have been challenged with projects ranging from fire involving consumer products or residential flash fires to catastrophic refinery, chemical plant or industrial fires and explosions.
Clients have included major petroleum/gas and chemical producers, major food and pharmaceuticals producers, fuel gas companies and suppliers, major law firms, the United States Chemical Hazard and Safety Board (CSB) and The Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF).
Practice areas include, but are not limited to:
- Fires or explosions involving residential, commercial, chemical plant, industrial, laboratory, transportation, heavy machinery or mining equipment.
- Fuel gas fires and explosions including propane, butane, natural gas, LP, LNG, hydrogen, mine gases and the piping and distribution systems, components and the thermal equipment utilized.
- Dust based explosions including coal, rubber, plastics, food products, wood dust, metal dust, grain dust or nano-particles.
- Fires or explosions involving uncontrolled chemical reactions or thermal runaway.
- Steam systems or boiler explosions.
- BLEVEs (boiling liquid evaporating vapor explosions) and aerosols.
- High temperature liquid metals or blast and arc furnace explosions.
- High explosives or chemical reactions leading to the unintended production of explosive materials.
- Fireworks and firearms.
- Fire suppressant systems (wet, dry, chemical).
- Fire Codes and standards (i.e. NFPA, OSHA, DOT, State and Federal)